- Review your account statement regularly and promptly report any fraudulent activity.
- Create a complex Online Banking password. Use a combination of letters, both capital and lowercase, numbers and symbols.
- Protect your Online Banking ID and password. If you share this information with someone, all transactions they initiate are considered as authorized by you, even for transactions you did not intend for them to make.
- Never leave your computer or mobile device unattended during an Online Banking session. Sign off from Online Banking and mobile banking when you are finished with each session by using the ‘Logout’ button.
- Shred financial documents and paperwork with personal information.
- Never give out personal information over the phone or Internet unless you are certain you know who you are dealing with.
- Never click on links sent in unsolicited emails.
- Inspect your credit report for inaccurate data. You can obtain a free report by visiting annualcreditreport.com
Additional Steps for Commercial Accounts:
Perform your own risk assessment, evaluating both risks and controls in your environment regarding online banking and/or remote deposit capture. Be sure to consider:
- Assigning individuals their own unique usernames/passwords
- The possibility of internal fraud or theft
- Delays in terminating the rights of former employees
- Segregating duties so that dual control is in place
- Conducting employee background checks
- Conducting internal or third party audits
- Using firewalls and up to date anti-virus protection to prevent outside intrusion